The Orpheum Children’s Science Museum (OCSM) is seeking a self-motivated leader for our new Executive Director. This new leader will help bring the museums mission of inspiring, engaging, and educating children through the exploration of science and the arts to our community. Our Executive Director is the museum’s leader and reports to the Board of Directors of our 501(c)(3). The Board is looking for a strong leader who can work well with children and parents, volunteers, Board members, and the wider community. Duties include financial oversight, public relations and marketing, staff management, and primary liaison with the Board.
Duties and Responsibilities
Budgeting, Finances and Fundraising
- Creates annual budget for Board approval
- Creates and updates museum annual report
- Provides oversight of financial policies and procedures
- Demonstrates strong business/fiscal management experience
- Explores ideas for long-range funding of OCSM
- Directs development strategy of museum, including grants, fundraising and sponsorships
Public Relations, Marketing and Promotions
- Acts as the official spokesperson for the museum
- Represents the OCSM at local and state meetings
- Ensures that the OCSM is consistently presented through strong and appropriate communication
- Ensures that the OCSM is recognized within the community and state through well-conceived branding strategies
- Networks with other children’s museums to develop education ideas for OCSM
- Manages the hiring process
- Conducts staff evaluations
- Manages work flow and staffing requirements to meet operational needs
- Responsible for training of new staff members
- Leads staff meetings
- Responsible for purchasing and tracking of supplies and equipment for museum
- Prepares monthly operational report for Board
- Works with the Board to develop museum and staff policy
- Serves as liaison to Board and committee chairs
- Advises the Board of trends, needs and growth opportunities for the OCSM
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in museum studies, science education, general business, finance, marketing, or related discipline is required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated by a history of effective communications with individuals, community leaders and groups through traditional and “newer” forms of media.
- Exceptional organizational, leadership and administrative skills.
- Strong computer and technical skills.
- The ability to travel locally on an occasional basis.
- Satisfactory background checks absent convictions for crimes that disqualify the individual for employment in a licensed child care facility in Illinois.
- Incumbent must frequently stand, walk, bend and climb stairs. Incumbents frequently lift light to moderate weight (up to 20 pounds). Incumbent may be exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Strong working knowledge of museum operations.
- Evidence of successful development of sponsors as demonstrated by receipt of major individual gifts, foundation grants, corporate sponsorships or other sources of support.
- An advanced degree from an accredited college or university in museum studies, science education, general business, finance, marketing or related discipline.
- This position is full-time (typically 40 hr/week).
- Incumbent will occasionally need to work a flexible schedule, including weekend and evening hours.
- $40,000 starting salary, commensurate with education and experience.
- Benefit package includes: two weeks accrued vacation, one parking space, personal use of the museum one night per year, free premium-level membership and access to camps, $1000 per year personal stipend (to be used for classes, workshops, or conferences related to Museum ED professional development).
- There is not any health insurance or insurance of any kind included with the benefit package.
- Please submit the following information via e-mail attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org by July 20th, 2017
- Cover letter with an expression of interest.
- Resume highlighting both the required and preferred qualifications outlined above.
- References may be requested at a later date.